Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Things I have learned

One of the greatest gifts I could have given my sons is the chance to take responsibility for their own actions. I believe it is the greatest gift we can give anyone.
I failed one of my sons in this, I took his issues, and made it an issue. He is not disabled, rather he is specially abled, and I made excuses when he made mistakes, and I stood up and took the consequences. And now, I have to learn how to not do this to him.
I love all my children, and most of us as parents, want to make it better for our children than we had it ourselves. Because of this sometimes I believe we overdo in undermining our own rules. I believe consequences make the man, and now, I have to let my son, who is 18 in life, but 12 in maturity learn the hard way, what I could have taught him years ago.
Shame on me, but also shame on him...

I have learned my lesson, and now, I will work harder on letting them grow without the overbearing savior of a mom, who always wanted the best. Now I will only protect them from the world who would hurt them without thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment